Float and Twirl

Electrical hardware and drama and naked women and silk and getting lost.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

i think this didn't really happen, did it Christopher

I saw him as soon as I walked into the diner. Spared a search, I arranged my face carefully, expecting to be watched through the tables. Private crossings are fantastical. They never happen but he didn't look up till I'd slid onto the chair across from him smoothing my skirt.

-I never search you out.
-Why, hello. He put his book down seriously.
-I guess you always show up.
-Not always at the right time.

I looked around. A woman with effort worn jeans and a toddler. A wide hipped lesbian in hair gel and an isolated boy unaware of observation.

-Good book?
-You are a special one, aren't you. (He surveyed my pinned hair, second hand sweater and bitten fingers) Today, anyway (with a small twist of his lip).

The muscles for that facial statement were not well exercised, but latent and near willing.
I laughed a little, restraining the urge to check his eyes. Relaxed my shoulders and unfurled the curl in my neck.

-I'd like to be. That's the point, isn't it?
-If you say so. (He leaned forward on his elbows) Do you really want to be?
-It might be something I decided to want. Does that make a difference? Is one more successful than the other?

He leaned back in his chair, fabric sharp smooth and dark. I ran my hands down my sleeves and grinned. He watched me.

-I'm suspicious.
-Should you be?

Question 1. Should you be.

I don't know. I started to get that crazy feeling tonight. I knew you were on your way here.
Of course you did.
Because you sent that picture? I could hardly see the background, I didn't realize it was a train for hours and even then....
A subway. A train, a plane, a bus.
Exactly. So you were there.
Where I told you I would be?
You didn't tell me you would be there. You mentioned it.
Ladida.
It was everything else lining up, that was what confused me. You couldn't have arranged for DF to leave that weekend.
Is he your keeper?
You got S to help you. How could you even find her? Or get her help? I can't make her help me.
You want to waste her time.
She doesn't know that. It's not my fault anyway, she wants too much.
He sighed.
I am that girl. I've waited at the airport for hours for people who never came. I've bought tickets, and waited in line, and never gone. And I've gone, you smug bastard, and come right back.
You haven't left this place.
No.
Why not.
I stayed on this course. I kept going on this track and I kept going with this project and this is who I am then.
Well, there must be some reason for that (with an eye raised type of look, though he wouldn't deign to go so far as raise it himself).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home